Finding the right air cleaner for mold can be challenging, but with Sterilumen we’ve got the experience and the tech to provide some great advice.
Do dust or other particles cause you to cough, sneeze, and wheeze? Are your allergies turning from seasonal to all year round? Even worse, do you have a mold allergy? Mold allergies are detrimental to your health if left untreated. Getting an air purifier for mold is helpful in more ways than one. However, even the most advanced models don’t rid your home of it completely. Knowing what mold is and why it appears can make selecting the right air purifier for mold in your home.
What causes mold?
Mold is a type of fungus that grows when excess moisture collects in an area. When a surface becomes increasingly damp and wet, the mold reproduces and creates new spores, which then turn into colonies. There are thousands of types of mold, but there are some that are more commonly found in homes than others, like Acremonium, Trichoderma, Chaetomium, Cladosporium, and Penicillium.
According to the Mayo Clinic, a mold allergy can cause upper respiratory symptoms like sneezing, coughing, dry skin, a runny nose, and itchy and watery eyes. It’s easy to mistake these symptoms for common allergies, but they can have a more sinister outcome. If left untreated, mold allergies increase your risk for respiratory infections, mold-induced asthma, and, in rare cases, lung disease or cancer.
What characteristics does the right air cleaner for mold have?
An air purifier can transform your home, classroom, or office building from a breeding ground for mold to one where you can breathe freely, without fear of getting sick. While you search, there are important factors you should consider when looking for an air purifier for mold:
- HEPA filter. High-efficiency particulate air filters are what remove particles like mold spores from the air. Make sure the air purifier you select has a washable true HEPA filter, rather than a lower-quality one.
- A user-friendly setup. A simple, non-complex model will make your life easier. The less complex the system is to set up and use, the quicker you can have cleaner air in your home.
- Loudness. All air purifiers produce noise, but some make less than others. If you don’t want to add additional noise to your house, consider finding a model that is described as “quiet” or “low volume.”
- Design quality. For the best quality air purifier, try to find one that is certified by Energy Star and the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers. More often than not, these purifiers are more sustainable, durable, and efficient.
- Affordability. Before you begin looking at your options, determine your budget. Normal air purifiers range from $50 to upwards of $600. Knowing what you’re willing to spend can help reduce the amount of searching you have to do.
Choose the Sterilumen Cleaner System For You
Finding an air purifier for mold can be a challenge, given the massive amount of options on the market. However, Sterilumen offers high-quality air purification systems that are technologically advanced – making the choice simple. If you’re interested in learning more about the products we offer or the science behind our disinfection, sterilization, and purification techniques, visit our website and schedule a consultation with one of our representatives.